Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dollypalooza!

An autumn antique show turned up tables and tables full of miniature dollies, almost 100 years worth, from the 1880s-1960s. It was a veritable Dollypalooza! Here's the box full I took home:


Can you spot: a cast metal dollhouse crib by Kilgore; a 1930s painted-over-bisque dollhouse doll; two 1890s frozen Charlottes; three German all-bisques, circa the 1900s; a black rubber doll from the 1920s; a teeny tiny Kewpie; a 1940s Ethel Strong 'Twinky' dollhouse doll; and plastic and vinyl dolls from East and West Germany?


The tiny 1920s Kewpie was the smallest doll in the bunch, just 1 1/4 inches tall. Behind her is a jointed German all-bisque wearing child-made clothes, a naked 1930s German painted-over-bisque dollhouse doll, and a plastic West German doll from the 1950s-60s.




The larger frozen Charlotte, 6 1/4 inches tall, was the biggest doll in the box.













This 6 inch German bisque doll  wears her original clothes and human hair wig, circa the 1900s:


Her sister, of the same size and vintage, has unusual incised eyes, and came wearing a lovely lace over blue silk dress:

8 comments:

  1. terrific, a lovely assortment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good haul! I've been very intrigued by older dolls lately myself so it's nice to see other people's collections. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the painted over bisque doll that caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dolls Tracy! Now, I've always wanted to get a frozen Charlotte doll...can you tell me what to look for? I'm always afraid I'm looking at something that's fairly new and not something that's older like I would like.

    You always seem to find the neatest things!
    Congrats!
    Merry Christmas Tracy!
    Michelle:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle!

    I'll send you some links to some good ones. There are so many kinds, and they were made for such a long time, so there are lots out there, and lots of variety.

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tracy! I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. in your 'dollapalooza' post - there is a doll in the box - top right corner with a red coat and little white hat. I have several of these that we played with as kids in the early 70's, i remember they came dressed in different ethnic outfits, but don't remember where we got them (were they in tea boxes) or just sold in stores. any info you have would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I got a couple of those little dolls when I was a kid in the 70s too. Mine came from dime stores, places like Woolworth's. They were in the "cheap toy" aisle. The dolls were made in Germany.

      Delete